- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Technology enables a more transparent and collaborative government
Computerworld - Casey Coleman, CIO of the U.S. General Services Administration since 2007, is part of a new generation of IT leaders who have undergraduate degrees in computer science and master's degrees in business administration.
"The CIO role is becoming less and less about the management of systems and more about choreography, being a conductor of services delivered via the cloud to a mobile, heterogeneous workforce," says Coleman, 45.
As GSA CIO, Coleman must shape a platform that meets the goals of President Barack Obama's administration to use technology as an enabler for transparent and collaborative government. Early last year, she presented an IT modernization plan to agency director Martha Johnson, who wanted it completed in 10 weeks, not 18 months.
That timeline was a challenge, but the agency was prepared. The GSA undertook an IT consolidation effort in 2006, when Coleman served as CIO of the GSA's Federal Acquisition Service.
In the 10-week period, the GSA upgraded Office 2003 to 2007; expanded its network and moved to MPLS; expanded remote access capabilities; and implemented two-factor authentication, passwords and GSA passcards, and VoIP. The goal was to finish by July 4, and while some work is ongoing, namely on the VoIP system, much progress has been made.
Deniece Peterson, manager of industry analysis at government market research firm Input, says this of Coleman: "If you look at what she's accomplished and what she plans to do -- she seems to be one of those innovative thinkers who sees the potential of IT in government."
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts