- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Technology enables a more transparent and collaborative government
Computerworld - Casey Coleman, CIO of the U.S. General Services Administration since 2007, is part of a new generation of IT leaders who have undergraduate degrees in computer science and master's degrees in business administration.
"The CIO role is becoming less and less about the management of systems and more about choreography, being a conductor of services delivered via the cloud to a mobile, heterogeneous workforce," says Coleman, 45.
As GSA CIO, Coleman must shape a platform that meets the goals of President Barack Obama's administration to use technology as an enabler for transparent and collaborative government. Early last year, she presented an IT modernization plan to agency director Martha Johnson, who wanted it completed in 10 weeks, not 18 months.
That timeline was a challenge, but the agency was prepared. The GSA undertook an IT consolidation effort in 2006, when Coleman served as CIO of the GSA's Federal Acquisition Service.
In the 10-week period, the GSA upgraded Office 2003 to 2007; expanded its network and moved to MPLS; expanded remote access capabilities; and implemented two-factor authentication, passwords and GSA passcards, and VoIP. The goal was to finish by July 4, and while some work is ongoing, namely on the VoIP system, much progress has been made.
Deniece Peterson, manager of industry analysis at government market research firm Input, says this of Coleman: "If you look at what she's accomplished and what she plans to do -- she seems to be one of those innovative thinkers who sees the potential of IT in government."
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts