- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Technology enables a more transparent and collaborative government
Computerworld - Casey Coleman, CIO of the U.S. General Services Administration since 2007, is part of a new generation of IT leaders who have undergraduate degrees in computer science and master's degrees in business administration.
"The CIO role is becoming less and less about the management of systems and more about choreography, being a conductor of services delivered via the cloud to a mobile, heterogeneous workforce," says Coleman, 45.
As GSA CIO, Coleman must shape a platform that meets the goals of President Barack Obama's administration to use technology as an enabler for transparent and collaborative government. Early last year, she presented an IT modernization plan to agency director Martha Johnson, who wanted it completed in 10 weeks, not 18 months.
That timeline was a challenge, but the agency was prepared. The GSA undertook an IT consolidation effort in 2006, when Coleman served as CIO of the GSA's Federal Acquisition Service.
In the 10-week period, the GSA upgraded Office 2003 to 2007; expanded its network and moved to MPLS; expanded remote access capabilities; and implemented two-factor authentication, passwords and GSA passcards, and VoIP. The goal was to finish by July 4, and while some work is ongoing, namely on the VoIP system, much progress has been made.
Deniece Peterson, manager of industry analysis at government market research firm Input, says this of Coleman: "If you look at what she's accomplished and what she plans to do -- she seems to be one of those innovative thinkers who sees the potential of IT in government."
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts