- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Project planning with a sharp eye on the details
Computerworld - She was a scientist who moved to marketing, then a marketing maven who moved to IT. The jobs may have changed, but there's a common thread in Katrina Lane's career that's easy to see: Now senior vice president and CTO at Caesars Entertainment Corp. in Las Vegas, Lane has a laser focus on her mission and relishes challenges.
Take Caesars Entertainment's integration of Planet Hollywood last year. Lane's IT team was tasked with ensuring that Planet Hollywood customers would have seamless access to the Caesars Total Rewards customer loyalty program. They finished the job in just 18 weeks, and the system went live about five weeks after the acquisition was complete. In a word, it was all about planning.
"It took a whole lot of prep work," says Lane. "All of our groups and the properties brought our collective resources and creativity to bear."
In fact, well before the sale closed, the team started working with gaming regulators, creating strategic liaisons with external partners, and mapping out every step of the project.
The project tested Lane's management abilities and leadership. "You have to constantly work on adapting your style to different people, to figure out how best to motivate the team," says Lane.
"Katrina brings a rare combination of deep and analytic intellect, a passion for the operations of our business and the capacity to inspire those around her," says Gary Loveman, chairman, CEO and president of Caesars Entertainment.
And although she's changed fields a few times, Lane seems to have found her true passion in IT. "With technology, there's nothing you can't do," she says. "It truly is magical."
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts