- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Project planning with a sharp eye on the details
Computerworld - She was a scientist who moved to marketing, then a marketing maven who moved to IT. The jobs may have changed, but there's a common thread in Katrina Lane's career that's easy to see: Now senior vice president and CTO at Caesars Entertainment Corp. in Las Vegas, Lane has a laser focus on her mission and relishes challenges.
Take Caesars Entertainment's integration of Planet Hollywood last year. Lane's IT team was tasked with ensuring that Planet Hollywood customers would have seamless access to the Caesars Total Rewards customer loyalty program. They finished the job in just 18 weeks, and the system went live about five weeks after the acquisition was complete. In a word, it was all about planning.
"It took a whole lot of prep work," says Lane. "All of our groups and the properties brought our collective resources and creativity to bear."
In fact, well before the sale closed, the team started working with gaming regulators, creating strategic liaisons with external partners, and mapping out every step of the project.
The project tested Lane's management abilities and leadership. "You have to constantly work on adapting your style to different people, to figure out how best to motivate the team," says Lane.
"Katrina brings a rare combination of deep and analytic intellect, a passion for the operations of our business and the capacity to inspire those around her," says Gary Loveman, chairman, CEO and president of Caesars Entertainment.
And although she's changed fields a few times, Lane seems to have found her true passion in IT. "With technology, there's nothing you can't do," she says. "It truly is magical."
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts