IBM, Google, Microsoft join 'gold rush' to make buildings greener
Computerworld - The next wave of green IT will be improving the energy efficiency of office buildings, and it will set up intense competition among the incumbent makers of building-control systems and IT vendors such as IBM, Google, Cisco and Microsoft, according to a report Lux Research Inc. released last month.
In hopes of capturing the "smart buildings" market, the IT vendors will be battling building-control giants like Johnson Controls, Siemens, Honeywell and Schneider Electric, as well as utilities, appliance makers, lighting suppliers and dozens of start-ups, the report said.
Lux Research analyst Michael LoCascio said the building technology market will see a boom-and-bust cycle similar to that of the dot-com market in the late 1990s. The report predicted a "gold rush" of entrepreneurs and a frenzy of acquisitions, followed by a shakeout in 2015.
The market research firm said that "conventional buildings unnecessarily consume a lot of energy as lighting, climate control and ventilation are all powered with little or no regard for the changing number of occupants, or the surrounding environmental or ambient conditions." Smarter controls and sensors can reduce overall building energy consumption by 20% -- or up to 60% for specific functions such as lighting, according to the report.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts