Green IT metrics proliferate: CUE and WUE join PUE
IDG News Service - The Green Grid -- the consortium that developed the Power Usage Effectiveness, or PUE, metric for measuring energy efficiency in data centers -- announced earlier this month that it is developing two more metrics that address carbon emissions and water usage.
The newly released Carbon Usage Effectiveness, or CUE, metric is intended to help IT managers measure greenhouse gas emissions from the IT gear in a data center, said Larry Vertal, executive director of The Green Grid.
The first version of CUE includes the direct emissions of the data center, primarily from backup power generators, and the emissions of the power utility, Vertal said. A future version will include "everything else," such as the emissions of the mining and manufacturing operations that supply fuel and equipment to the power utility, he said.
A third metric, Water Usage Effectiveness, or WUE, will be released by next March. WUE will determine the amount of water used by the facility and the efficiency of that usage in IT operations.
The widely adopted PUE metric measures how much of the electricity used by a data center goes to the IT equipment as opposed to being lost on cooling systems or inefficient power supplies.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- In the Firing Line CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts