Software engineers have high risk of unhealthy insomnia, study says
Computerworld - Computer programmers have an especially hard time falling asleep, which leads to a lower quality of life, according to a small study of 91 software engineers in India.
Insomnia is bad news for software engineers' mental health and deserves greater attention, warned researchers Sara Sarrafi Zadeh and Khyrunnisa Begum at the University of Mysore in India.
In a study published in the journal Applied Research in Quality of Life, the authors found that 56% of the participants had mild or severe insomnia, compared to 23% in the general population. In contrast to what other studies have shown, younger software engineers were more likely to be insomniacs than their older counterparts.
Insomnia can cause daytime problems such as fatigue, irritability, memory impairment and loss of productivity. Left untreated, it has also been linked to severe depression and coronary heart disease.
Because software engineers are at high risk for health problems caused by insomnia, the authors called for sleep assessments during medical checkups, and employer-provided "lifestyle management programs" that teach habits conducive to better sleep.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts