Software engineers have high risk of unhealthy insomnia, study says
Computerworld - Computer programmers have an especially hard time falling asleep, which leads to a lower quality of life, according to a small study of 91 software engineers in India.
Insomnia is bad news for software engineers' mental health and deserves greater attention, warned researchers Sara Sarrafi Zadeh and Khyrunnisa Begum at the University of Mysore in India.
In a study published in the journal Applied Research in Quality of Life, the authors found that 56% of the participants had mild or severe insomnia, compared to 23% in the general population. In contrast to what other studies have shown, younger software engineers were more likely to be insomniacs than their older counterparts.
Insomnia can cause daytime problems such as fatigue, irritability, memory impairment and loss of productivity. Left untreated, it has also been linked to severe depression and coronary heart disease.
Because software engineers are at high risk for health problems caused by insomnia, the authors called for sleep assessments during medical checkups, and employer-provided "lifestyle management programs" that teach habits conducive to better sleep.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Benefits of Automated Log Management This paper discusses the challenges associated with effective log management and enables you to better define best practices and requirements for log management...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Management White Papers | Webcasts