Medtronic CIO buys 4,500 iPads for show and tell
Computerworld - Medtronic Inc., which makes medical devices, may be one of the earliest and biggest corporate buyers of Apple Inc.'s iPad tablet. CIO Michael Hedges has purchased 4,500 iPads for his company, which employs 40,000 people.
The iPad was released on April 3, a Saturday, and Hedges quickly arranged to buy 10 iPads to ship to a trade show in Germany the following Wednesday.
Normally, Medtronic has large and very expensive displays at its booth, but in this case it loaded up the iPads with product information and then put them on display.
The iPad wasn't being sold yet in Europe, and the devices were an immediate hit, Hedges recalled at a Gartner Inc. event last month.
"It was such a huge success, because people came to our booth not to look at the Medtronic product but to look at the iPad," he said. "I didn't care -- I just wanted them at the booth."
But Hedges bought many more iPads because they offer instant access to data and video, a particularly important attribute when showing product information to customers. Hedges added that the iPad's instant-on capability was a key feature for the business.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts