Pacific Gas & Electric: Data center divvied up into blade-server pods
At this utility, ranked No. 8, printers, and even servers, are resource-conserving by default.
Computerworld - When it comes to green IT, Pacific Gas & Electric knows how to talk the talk. The California utility already promotes energy conservation to its customers through a variety of incentives targeting everyone from consumers to data center operators.
It also launches internal initiatives, such as its recent "Think before you print" campaign. But the utility practices what it preaches by making green-IT best practices its gold standard. Users don't opt in -- they have to opt out.
For example, all printers are set to two-sided, black-and-white printing by default. Want to print color or one-sided? You'll need to change the print settings for the job. That policy alone cut printing by 51 million pages last year, saving $460,000 in paper and consumables costs, says Scott McDonald, IT architect.
Want a server? It's virtualized by default unless you can justify an alternative. "To opt out, people have to go through a level of transparency with their leadership," says McDonald. "We are virtualizing 80% to 85% of new loads." IT has virtualized almost half of the 1,900 servers in the company. That cut energy use by 2,600 megawatt-hours last year -- a $370,000 savings.
PG&E has also begun segmenting its data center into "pods" and is moving virtual servers, which used to be grouped by project, into a single pool of blade servers within those pods in order to consolidate further. Each pod contains about a dozen racks and is walled off by plastic curtains to isolate cooling and increase efficiency.
IT is also finishing up a power management system that will automatically force employees' 22,270 PCs into sleep mode after an hour of inactivity and turn off monitors after 20 minutes. PG&E projects annual savings of about 5,060 MWh, or $725,000.
More on Top Green-IT
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Mobile Expense Management--Picking up the Money on the Ground Integrating and managing mobility expenses across multiple carriers can generate savings and improve organizational decision making.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts