New Intel lab will focus on human interaction with IT
Justin Rattner, Intel's chief technology officer, announced the formation of the lab, dubbed Interaction and Experience Research, at the company's annual Research Day in Mountain View, Calif., last month.
"Better technology isn't enough these days," Rattner said. "What the individual values today is a deeply personal information experience." He said that Intel has assembled a team of user-interface technologists and social scientists "to create the next generation of user experiences."
Intel fellow Genevieve Bell will lead the lab, which will "build on 15 years of research into the ways in which people use, reuse and resist new information and communication technologies," she said.
"We'll ask the question of what people are passionate about, what they want to do and, equally important, what they do not want to do with technology," she added.
Bell said Intel wants to marry these human insights with the company's computer research to create new technologies.
Manny Vara, a technology strategist at Intel, said in an interview that the company is putting a strong new emphasis on studying people, how they use technology now and how they want to use it in the future.
"In 10 to 20 years, we probably won't even think of it as computing anymore, if we do it right," said Vara. "It'll just become part of what you're doing."
For instance, today people talk a lot about social networking, he said, but in a few years digitally connecting with people socially and for business will become routine.
"Any piece of software will have social aspects built in," Vara contended. "We're going to make a lot of these consumer tools more useful, and you'll see more and more of them on the business side."
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that first appeared on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts