- View the full 2010 package
- View and sort the top 100 ranking
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA
- Employer scorecard: The tops for training, benefits
- Employee scorecard: 38,000 IT workers weigh in
- Opinion: How to build a better workplace
- Opinion: How to keep your best workers on board
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
No. 68 Best Place to Work in IT: Indiana University
Career development opportunities for IT staffers abound at this top-rated university.
Computerworld - In a challenging economy, many people turn to academia to help them develop the skills they'll need in a new job market. IT staffers at Indiana University are proof that full-time students aren't the only ones seeking out growth opportunities.
For example, all IT workers are eligible to participate in the IT Leaders enrichment program, which features job-shadowing opportunities and job exchanges across departments, from the help desk to the registrar's office and the central IT organization. "The department delineation just doesn't exist," says Debby Allmayer, human resources officer at the Bloomington, Ind., university. Such interaction and collaboration led IT to adopt a new motto: "One IU IT."
IU employees enjoy more than broad educational opportunities; the university also has a relaxed dress code and allows staffers to telecommute. Such flexibility became crucial two years ago in the wake of Hurricane Ike, when the area was hit with severe flooding and power outages closed several buildings on campus. "The staff discovered they were capable of working remotely, and we quickly set up a central location and got tools together to help people continue to work," says Allmayer. "It came out quite well -- but it's not something we want to repeat ever again!"
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts