- View the full 2010 package
- View and sort the top 100 ranking
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA
- Employer scorecard: The tops for training, benefits
- Employee scorecard: 38,000 IT workers weigh in
- Opinion: How to build a better workplace
- Opinion: How to keep your best workers on board
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
No. 68 Best Place to Work in IT: Indiana University
Career development opportunities for IT staffers abound at this top-rated university.
Computerworld - In a challenging economy, many people turn to academia to help them develop the skills they'll need in a new job market. IT staffers at Indiana University are proof that full-time students aren't the only ones seeking out growth opportunities.
For example, all IT workers are eligible to participate in the IT Leaders enrichment program, which features job-shadowing opportunities and job exchanges across departments, from the help desk to the registrar's office and the central IT organization. "The department delineation just doesn't exist," says Debby Allmayer, human resources officer at the Bloomington, Ind., university. Such interaction and collaboration led IT to adopt a new motto: "One IU IT."
IU employees enjoy more than broad educational opportunities; the university also has a relaxed dress code and allows staffers to telecommute. Such flexibility became crucial two years ago in the wake of Hurricane Ike, when the area was hit with severe flooding and power outages closed several buildings on campus. "The staff discovered they were capable of working remotely, and we quickly set up a central location and got tools together to help people continue to work," says Allmayer. "It came out quite well -- but it's not something we want to repeat ever again!"
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts