EPA drafting Energy Star standards for enterprise storage
IDG News Service - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is seeking comments on draft standards that will lead to Energy Star certification for enterprise storage systems, perhaps by the end of this year.
The EPA, which released Draft 1.0 of the standard on April 9, is holding meetings with the storage industry and seeking written comments by May 21.
The agency has developed Energy Star ratings for servers, but storage gear requires a different approach. For example, storage systems almost always have dual power supplies, whereas servers often don't. If the sole power supply on a server were to fail, its work could be shifted to another server. But if the same happened on a storage device, applications would lose access to the data on that platform until it came back up, said Erik Riedel, a member of the Storage Networking Industry Association Technical Council.
The EPA needed time to learn about those differences, said Riedel. Now it's mapping out a complex taxonomy of different types of storage systems based on size, performance and design, he said, and developing specific energy consumption requirements for Energy Star certification for each type.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that first appeared on Computerworld.com.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts