Computerworld - Stratus Technologies Inc. -- the fault-tolerant server maker formerly known as Stratus Computer -- celebrated its 30th anniversary this month. To mark the milestone, the company held a contest to identify the Stratus servers that have been humming away the longest, and those with the least unplanned downtime.
The winner for longevity was a Stratus server at Double Eagle Steel Coating Co. that has been running ERP applications for 17 years. It was installed in 1993, the year Bill Clinton was first sworn in as U.S. president. "Around Y2K, we thought it might be time to update the hardware, but we just didn't get around to it," said IT engineer Phil Hogan, in a statement.
Insurer Highmark Inc. took the uptime title with a Stratus server that has operated with no unplanned downtime since February 2001 -- and hasn't even been rebooted in more than four years. Highmark's server processed 170 million electronic claims submissions from doctors and hospitals last year.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!