Computerworld - Stratus Technologies Inc. -- the fault-tolerant server maker formerly known as Stratus Computer -- celebrated its 30th anniversary this month. To mark the milestone, the company held a contest to identify the Stratus servers that have been humming away the longest, and those with the least unplanned downtime.
The winner for longevity was a Stratus server at Double Eagle Steel Coating Co. that has been running ERP applications for 17 years. It was installed in 1993, the year Bill Clinton was first sworn in as U.S. president. "Around Y2K, we thought it might be time to update the hardware, but we just didn't get around to it," said IT engineer Phil Hogan, in a statement.
Insurer Highmark Inc. took the uptime title with a Stratus server that has operated with no unplanned downtime since February 2001 -- and hasn't even been rebooted in more than four years. Highmark's server processed 170 million electronic claims submissions from doctors and hospitals last year.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts