Starbucks expands pay-by-iPhone pilot
Computerworld - Coffee lovers can now flash Apple iPhones or iPod Touches to pay for lattes, pastries and other items at more than 1,000 Starbucks locations.
The pilot of the Starbucks Card Mobile App, which started last September at 16 company-operated stores in Seattle and Northern California, was successful enough to expand further, a spokeswoman said.
But no plans have been announced for expansion to the rest of the more than 11,000 Starbucks locations in the U.S.
The Starbucks payment app -- which is available free of charge at Apple's App Store -- lets customers use a credit card to put money on a virtual Starbucks card. To make a purchase, a customer just waves an iPhone or iPod Touch, which has a unique bar code on its screen, over a bar code reader at the Starbucks payment counter.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that first appeared on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!