IDG News Service - More than half of companies that implement ERP systems end up getting no more than 30% of the business benefits they expected, according to a study by Denver-based systems integrator Panorama Consulting Group LLC.
Of the 1,600 organizations surveyed, 72% said they were "fairly satisfied" with their ERP package. But this can be misleading, according to the study: "Some executives are just happy to complete projects... and give little thought to whether or not the company is better off with the new software or whether or not they're getting as much out of the system as possible."
More than half (51.4%) of ERP projects went over budget, the survey found, and about 35% of the respondents said their projects took longer than expected.
ERP customers can avoid surprises by taking the time to pin down a project's real costs, which go far beyond software licenses. Three quarters of a project's budget typically goes toward implementation, hardware upgrades, customization and other needs, according to Panorama.
Customers should also "identify pockets of resistance within the company and determine the organizational change management needed to make the project successful," Panorama suggested.
Altimeter Group analyst Ray Wang agreed. "People do not invest enough in change management," he said.
The length of ERP projects can exacerbate dissatisfaction, he added, noting that users' requirements might change a great deal between the time the vendor is selected and the time the system is deployed.
These factors explain why software as a service is gaining acceptance, with its promise of quicker implementations and easier upgrades, Wang contended. "It doesn't mean you go SaaS all the way," he said. "But there are things that are much better with SaaS," like human resources applications that require frequent updates.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts