EPA plans Energy Star program for data centers in June
IDG News Service - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is wrapping up work on an Energy Star program for data centers that it hopes to launch in June.
The goals of the program are to give organizations a greater incentive to improve the energy efficiency of their data centers, and to give them a way to track the results of efficiency initiatives over time, said Alexandra Sullivan, an EPA program engineer who described the effort at a recent green IT conference.
Data centers that participate in the EPA program will use an online tool that ranks their efficiency on a scale of 1 to 100. Those that score 75 or higher can request an audit from the EPA, which awards qualified organizations the Energy Star certification.
The EPA has become increasingly active in data centers. It already has an Energy Star program for x86 servers, and it has started to develop programs for storage equipment and uninterruptible power supplies, or UPS systems.
The Energy Star certification will be based largely on the power usage effectiveness (PUE) metric, which is calculated by dividing the total power supplied to a data center by the amount that actually reaches IT equipment without being lost to cooling systems and inefficient power supplies.
The EPA will also take into account the energy output from the UPS systems. That means that while data centers with good PUE scores will tend to get higher rankings, that metric will not be the only factor, Sullivan said.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It's an edited version of an article that first ran on Computerworld.com.
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!