Computerworld - Adoption of open-source business intelligence software is doubling every year because the products are viewed as "good enough" for routine applications, according to a recent report by Gartner Inc. analyst Andreas Bitterer.
Commercial BI software vendors still have superior BI technology, he wrote, but "open-source is slowly becoming just another sourcing option for everyday BI requirements." No longer just an option for cash-strapped organizations, open-source BI tools are going mainstream, Bitterer said.
Though the downloaded software is free, Bitterer said the cost of large-scale open-source BI deployments can still hit "the million-dollar range" thanks to high development and labor costs on top of support subscriptions.
He urged CIOs to scan their local talent markets to make sure there are developers who are skilled with open-source BI tools. Otherwise, a lack of trained developers will slow the project and increase overall costs.
Some commercial BI vendors have noticed the encroachment on their turf and are countering by offering free "starter editions" of their software, the report said.
- Big data key to bringing hyperlocal weather forecasts to Georgia farmers
- Brewer taps Bud Lab at University of Illinois
- Splunk woos Hadoop users
- RSA brings big data analytics to security threat management
- Moving beyond Hadoop for big data needs
- Q&A: What's needed to get a big data job?
- SAS extends analytics support for unstructured data
- Time has come for chief analytics officers
- Big data brings big academic opportunities
- Finding the business value in big data is a big problem
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Automating Cost Transparency By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Forrester: The Business Technology Value Scorecard The "Business Technology Value Scorecard" paper proposes four categories of KPIs as the basis for a common language of metrics between IT leaders...
- Cisco Case Study Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!