Computerworld - Adoption of open-source business intelligence software is doubling every year because the products are viewed as "good enough" for routine applications, according to a recent report by Gartner Inc. analyst Andreas Bitterer.
Commercial BI software vendors still have superior BI technology, he wrote, but "open-source is slowly becoming just another sourcing option for everyday BI requirements." No longer just an option for cash-strapped organizations, open-source BI tools are going mainstream, Bitterer said.
Though the downloaded software is free, Bitterer said the cost of large-scale open-source BI deployments can still hit "the million-dollar range" thanks to high development and labor costs on top of support subscriptions.
He urged CIOs to scan their local talent markets to make sure there are developers who are skilled with open-source BI tools. Otherwise, a lack of trained developers will slow the project and increase overall costs.
Some commercial BI vendors have noticed the encroachment on their turf and are countering by offering free "starter editions" of their software, the report said.
- Big data key to bringing hyperlocal weather forecasts to Georgia farmers
- Brewer taps Bud Lab at University of Illinois
- Splunk woos Hadoop users
- RSA brings big data analytics to security threat management
- Moving beyond Hadoop for big data needs
- Q&A: What's needed to get a big data job?
- SAS extends analytics support for unstructured data
- Time has come for chief analytics officers
- Big data brings big academic opportunities
- Finding the business value in big data is a big problem
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Eliminating Jenkins Sprawl: Going from CI to CD with Electric Cloud Many organizations have begun adopting Continuous Delivery (CD) practices to increase velocity beyond the build and test phase. This paper reveals how organizations...
- Dynamic Workload Automation Optimizes End-to-End Business Service Performance This white paper, sponsored by CA Technologies, discusses the market and technology forces that are reshaping today's enterprise workload management automation requirements and...
- Dell Software Foglight APM 5.9: Introducing Big Data Repository/Reporting Supporting Web Analytics and User-Centric APM Learn the capabilities of Dell™ Foglight™ Application Performance Monitoring (APM) 5.9, and how the deep visibility into transaction flows and User Experience capitalize...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!