Computerworld - Adoption of open-source business intelligence software is doubling every year because the products are viewed as "good enough" for routine applications, according to a recent report by Gartner Inc. analyst Andreas Bitterer.
Commercial BI software vendors still have superior BI technology, he wrote, but "open-source is slowly becoming just another sourcing option for everyday BI requirements." No longer just an option for cash-strapped organizations, open-source BI tools are going mainstream, Bitterer said.
Though the downloaded software is free, Bitterer said the cost of large-scale open-source BI deployments can still hit "the million-dollar range" thanks to high development and labor costs on top of support subscriptions.
He urged CIOs to scan their local talent markets to make sure there are developers who are skilled with open-source BI tools. Otherwise, a lack of trained developers will slow the project and increase overall costs.
Some commercial BI vendors have noticed the encroachment on their turf and are countering by offering free "starter editions" of their software, the report said.
- Big data key to bringing hyperlocal weather forecasts to Georgia farmers
- Brewer taps Bud Lab at University of Illinois
- Splunk woos Hadoop users
- RSA brings big data analytics to security threat management
- Moving beyond Hadoop for big data needs
- Q&A: What's needed to get a big data job?
- SAS extends analytics support for unstructured data
- Time has come for chief analytics officers
- Big data brings big academic opportunities
- Finding the business value in big data is a big problem
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- 13 Reasons to Move to Adobe Creative Cloud One of the big advantages Adobe Creative Cloud for teams offers over Adobe Creative Suite 6 perpetual software is the ability to continually...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of...
- The Next Generation of Big Data: New IBM Information Management Cloud Solutions Learn about IBM's new and expanded Information Management capabilities now delivered in the cloud, including: Hadoop based analytics, stream processing, in-memory computing, data... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!