Report says the leading cause of software project failures is complexity
Computerworld - Is the problem a bad set of user requirements? Poor business alignment? No. According to software architect Roger Sessions, the primary cause of software project failures is complexity.
Complexity can create delays, cost overruns and systems that don't meet business needs, according to Sessions, who is chief technology officer at ObjectWatch Inc. and author of Simple Architectures for Complex Enterprises (Microsoft Press, 2008). "Our goal should be to design the least complex architecture possible that solves the business problem," he said in a report he released last month.
In the report, Sessions estimated that worldwide, the annual cost of IT failure is about $6 trillion -- that's $500 billion per month. For the U.S., the annual cost is about $1 trillion. In an interview with interview with Computerworld New Zealand, Sessions said his estimates may be 30% too high or 30% too low, but he maintained that it's the magnitude of the numbers that's important.
According to the report, "The IT Complexity Crisis: Danger and Opportunity," preventing so much costly IT failure would painlessly add $500 billion per month to the world economy, and it could make companies more profitable and enable governments to provide more services without raising taxes.
Sessions' remedy is a software design process called Simple Iterative Partitions, which "partitions business functions into subsystems" in a way that makes the overall system as simple and reliable as possible to achieve the business goal.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts