- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Computerworld - In government, bureaucracy is a bigger threat to IT projects than badly behaving technology.
That's what Manuel H. Moreno, 61, research director in the chief executive office of the service integration branch of Los Angeles County, learned three years ago when he led the charge to create the first unified data warehouse for the county's social service agencies.
Policymakers had long wanted to cut down on waste. But each agency insisted on keeping its data separate and siloed, and "nobody knew how much money was spent or who were the frequent fliers -- the people who were using services much more frequently than others," says Moreno, who has more than 25 years of experience as a county manager.
Moreno cleverly navigated the bureaucracy to jump-start the data warehouse initiative, known as the Adult Linkages Project, says Halil Toros, the chief analyst working under Moreno.
"Manuel managed to attract the attention of our upper management. And with the direction of the county CEO, all departments were forced to cooperate," Toros says. Moreno was then able to get buy-in from each agency by explaining the benefits, and he maintained that buy-in through constant contact, Toros adds.
Moreno continues to build on that momentum: The county is now working on a pilot of a data mining system to help prevent fraud.Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts