- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Computerworld - In government, bureaucracy is a bigger threat to IT projects than badly behaving technology.
That's what Manuel H. Moreno, 61, research director in the chief executive office of the service integration branch of Los Angeles County, learned three years ago when he led the charge to create the first unified data warehouse for the county's social service agencies.
Policymakers had long wanted to cut down on waste. But each agency insisted on keeping its data separate and siloed, and "nobody knew how much money was spent or who were the frequent fliers -- the people who were using services much more frequently than others," says Moreno, who has more than 25 years of experience as a county manager.
Moreno cleverly navigated the bureaucracy to jump-start the data warehouse initiative, known as the Adult Linkages Project, says Halil Toros, the chief analyst working under Moreno.
"Manuel managed to attract the attention of our upper management. And with the direction of the county CEO, all departments were forced to cooperate," Toros says. Moreno was then able to get buy-in from each agency by explaining the benefits, and he maintained that buy-in through constant contact, Toros adds.
Moreno continues to build on that momentum: The county is now working on a pilot of a data mining system to help prevent fraud.Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts