- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader Profile: Paul Stamas
Computerworld - In a year when many of his peers battled the recession with cutbacks and project cancellations, Paul Stamas, vice president of IT at Mohawk Fine Papers Inc. in Cohoes, N.Y., spent even more money than he did in 2008 -- 10% more. Among other things, he helped his company implement a far-reaching system to track and improve energy conservation, integrated systems within a month of Mohawk acquiring a major competitor, expanded Mohawk's distribution network in Europe and launched a comprehensive e-commerce project to broaden the company's offerings to its customer base.
Stamas, 48, doesn't claim individual credit for any of those accomplishments, saying instead that they were due to the "empowered culture" at the private, third-generation family-owned company. "We're fast, agile, flexible and opportunist," he says. In that context, a budget increase "really means nothing," Stamas explains. "It means our CEO had an idea to do something and said, 'It's the right thing to do, so let's do it.' "
Turns out that Stamas, who has worked at the paper manufacturer for seven years, is a fine fit with that culture. "Paul doesn't just sit in his office and direct," says Mohawk's president, Jack Haren, who is Stamas' boss. "He's very hands-on and is a tremendous problem-solver and excellent communicator."
Stamas is a year into a doctorate of information management program at Syracuse University. He says he wants to get more deeply involved with the research aspects of IT, with a particular focus on cloud computing and service-oriented architectures at smaller companies.Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts