- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader Profile: Paul Stamas
Computerworld - In a year when many of his peers battled the recession with cutbacks and project cancellations, Paul Stamas, vice president of IT at Mohawk Fine Papers Inc. in Cohoes, N.Y., spent even more money than he did in 2008 -- 10% more. Among other things, he helped his company implement a far-reaching system to track and improve energy conservation, integrated systems within a month of Mohawk acquiring a major competitor, expanded Mohawk's distribution network in Europe and launched a comprehensive e-commerce project to broaden the company's offerings to its customer base.
Stamas, 48, doesn't claim individual credit for any of those accomplishments, saying instead that they were due to the "empowered culture" at the private, third-generation family-owned company. "We're fast, agile, flexible and opportunist," he says. In that context, a budget increase "really means nothing," Stamas explains. "It means our CEO had an idea to do something and said, 'It's the right thing to do, so let's do it.' "
Turns out that Stamas, who has worked at the paper manufacturer for seven years, is a fine fit with that culture. "Paul doesn't just sit in his office and direct," says Mohawk's president, Jack Haren, who is Stamas' boss. "He's very hands-on and is a tremendous problem-solver and excellent communicator."
Stamas is a year into a doctorate of information management program at Syracuse University. He says he wants to get more deeply involved with the research aspects of IT, with a particular focus on cloud computing and service-oriented architectures at smaller companies.Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Changing Face of Collaboration in the Enterprise The importance of having enterprise content anywhere is the main focus of this article. Along with this, having an API-based environment with collaborative...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Benefits of Automated Log Management This paper discusses the challenges associated with effective log management and enables you to better define best practices and requirements for log management...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Management White Papers | Webcasts