- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader Profile: Jinx Walton
Computerworld - Universities have earned something of a reputation over the years for having poor information security controls. Jinx Walton is on a mission to erase that perception, at least at the University of Pittsburgh, where she is director of computing services and systems development.
Since the fall of 2007, Walton has been spearheading a major initiative to centralize the university's e-mail, Web services and network firewall operations as part of an effort to bolster security in those environments. Under the plan, e-mail and Web servers from more than 100 locations across the university are being brought into a central network operations facility. There, they will be managed by the university's central IT staff. Such centralization makes it considerably easier to manage and secure those crucial services, Walton says.
The project is expected to be completed next year, but it has already started to show results. Prior to the centralization effort, Walton says, there were a number of security incidents in which Web sites and e-mail servers were compromised. "That has almost completely been eliminated," she notes.
Pulling together the centralization effort hasn't been especially easy. Universities typically have to walk a fine line between maintaining relatively open access to information while also ensuring a reasonable level of security. Striking the right balance is often "the biggest challenge with security in a university environment," Walton says.
Her approach to the problem has been to try to encourage students, faculty and staff to opt in for better security controls rather than imposing controls on them. A page on the university's Web portal called "Secure Your Data" offers advice and free tools that students and faculty can use to better protect themselves against security threats.
"One of Jinx's strengths is that she certainly understands the university environment," says Debbie Pratt, former CIO and now liaison for technology services at the university. "She has the ability to work with the organization and focus on the things that need attention."
Walton's vision to bring together the university's e-mail system, Web servers and firewall infrastructure has been very important, Pratt says, adding, "I think she is very clear on where we are going and what our goal is."Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts