Study shows open-source code quality steadily improving
IDG News Service - The overall number of defects in open-source software projects is dropping, according to a new study by San Francisco-based vendor Coverity Inc.
Coverity, a maker of tools for analyzing programming code, received a contract in 2006 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to help boost the quality of open-source software, which is increasingly being used by government agencies for critical applications.
The vendor set up a Web site where open-source developers can submit code to be analyzed. A project is ranked on a scale of "rungs," based on how many defects have been resolved.
"Defect density" has dropped 16% over the past three years among the projects scanned through the site, and 11,200 defects have been eliminated, according to Coverity's latest report.
Four projects have been awarded the top-level Rung 3 status for resolving defects discovered in the previous stages: Samba, Tor, OpenPAM and Ruby.
Coverity's Scan site so far has analyzed more than 60 million unique lines of code from 280 projects.
The company's scanning service uses static analysis, which checks code for security or performance problems without having to run an application. "Static analysis [tools] won't tell you that your business process is working correctly ... but they will tell you that the code itself is technically solid and follows the kind of programming best practices you'd expect to see from code that has gone through a proper code review," said Forrester Research Inc. analyst Jeffrey Hammond, via e-mail.
He said the tools are most helpful for finding structural problems, such as memory leaks and buffer overflows, caused by poor programming practices, as well as more exotic conditions like errors caused by parallel execution of code in a multicore CPU environment.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Mitigate Risk and Accelerate Time to Value Download this white paper to learn how your IT organization can accelerate business, introduce new services, and reach new markets, all while staying...
- Allay Risks in Application Rationalization and Modernization IT has to do it all: react quickly to market needs, introduce new services, capitalize on mobile, and comply with regulatory requirements, all...
- Delivering Application Data On-Demand Packaged app dev teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to various constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, Delphix-powered teams can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts