- IT's Top Tier: Strong and steady leadership in stressful times.
- Class of 2010 Yearbook. A photo gallery of the year's Premier 100, along with personal tidbits.
- Editorial: Why the Premier 100 are the best of IT's best.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2010.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 7-9, 2010.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Computerworld - Successful IT leadership is about people, process, tools -- and people, says Stephen Bozzo, senior vice president and CIO at 1800Flowers.com Inc. If that sounds redundant, the choice of words was intentional. "It starts with people and ends with people," he says.
Bozzo, 54, says he listens when he might otherwise direct, and he cultivates leadership at every level. "Job 1 is to have a cadre of leaders working for you and in turn to have a cadre of leaders working for them," he explains.
That strategy has enabled the IT team to launch several successful initiatives and improve service levels, all while cutting the IT budget by 20% and staff and contract workers by 30%. Part of the savings came from a consolidation of IT environments among the Carle Place, N.Y.-based company's 16 brands, an initiative that included reversing 1800Flowers.com's preference for building its own IT systems.
Bozzo also championed a chargeback system for IT expenses. "It was a bit of a selling job," says Bozzo, who had to convince executives that it was a good way to control expenses and get more from IT. To gain support, he assigned a business relationship manager to every unit and distributed chargeback reports for a year before implementing the program. Today, every dollar of the IT budget is accounted for.
Ram Ganesan, who reports to Bozzo, isn't surprised by Bozzo's success. "We have to plow through these difficult times, and that only happens when you have solid leadership," says Ganesan, vice president of application development.
But the human touch is Bozzo's biggest strength. Ganesan says that as a project manager a few years ago, he got into an argument with his manager over how to deal with a customer and was ready to resign. The issue was elevated to Bozzo. "I was two levels down," says Ganesan. "The fact that I could have an argument with a high-placed executive, that speaks a lot to leadership." Ganesan stayed, and he says he learned from Bozzo's approach.
People have a tendency to get too aggressive when crises emerge, Bozzo says, acknowledging that he himself has had to overcome that tendency. "I try to be methodical and even-keeled with every problem, no matter how severe."Return to the full list of 2010 honorees
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts