DOJ seeks more data on Microsoft-Yahoo deal
Computerworld - The U.S. Department of Justice has asked Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. to hand over more information regarding their proposed search partnership.
Microsoft and Yahoo in July announced a deal under which Microsoft's new Bing search engine would run on multiple Yahoo sites, and Yahoo would handle sales of premium search advertising for both companies.
A Microsoft spokesman confirmed that the DOJ requested the data earlier this month. He noted that the inquiry was not a surprise and pointed out that the company said in July that it "anticipated a close review of the agreement, given its scope."
Microsoft still hopes the new business arrangement will go into effect early next year, the spokesman added. He declined to identify the information sought by the DOJ.
Meanwhile, the company last week confirmed that it and Yahoo have started "informal discussions" with European Commission regulators to determine whether the agreement needs to be subjected to a formal merger probe in Europe.
The EC declined to comment on the talks.
Antitrust litigator Matthew Cantor, a partner at Constantine Cannon LLP in New York, applauded the DOJ for investigating the proposed deal.
"This is not run-of-the-mill," he said. "[The DOJ] would only request additional information if there was some kind of presumption that the deal would cause antitrust effects."
Cantor pointed out that the partnership would leave only two major search offerings -- Google and Bing.
Microsoft contends that the deal will improve competition in the search business.
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts