U.S. expands H-1B fraud case against IT services firm
Computerworld - The U.S. government late last month filed a new, expanded 18-count indictment that now seeks $4.9 million from a New Jersey IT services firm it has accused of fraudulently using H-1B visas.
The government alleges that South Plainfield, N.J.-based Vision Systems Group Inc. paid its H-1B workers in multiple states based on low prevailing wage rates in Iowa through the creation of shell businesses in that state.
The indictment charges that the methods used by Vision Systems "have substantially deprived U.S. citizens of employment."
The initial 10-count indictment against Vision Systems, filed on Feb. 12, was part of a government investigation dubbed Operation Pacific Vision that led to the arrest of 11 people in six states on H-1B fraud charges.
Court documents show that the expanded indictment cut the amount sought by $2.5 million; no explanation for the reduction was given. But it is still the largest H-1B fraud case ever brought by the government.
The figure "represents he total amount of gross proceeds obtained as a result of offenses," according to the indictment.
Vision Systems and its executives are fighting the charges in U.S. District Court in Iowa.
"Workers were paid at or above the prevailing wage rates of the places that they were working," Mark Weinhardt, a Des Moines attorney and a member of the legal team representing the company, contended last week.
Visions Systems' defense has not yet been outlined but is hinted at in the indictment papers.
According to prosecutors, Vision Systems told its H-1B hires that green cards could be obtained more quickly from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) offices located outside of New Jersey.
Thus, Vision Systems might claim that it has been using the faster service available at the Iowa ICE offices as a recruiting tool for H-1B workers interested in getting green cards quickly.
Weinhardt did note that the defense team believes that the "indictment is based on a number of misconceptions about immigration law and procedure."
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Transform IT: Transform the Enterprise
- This paper provides IT leaders with insight into three IT imperatives that 24 CIOs and senior IT executives used to reposition IT and...
- Case Study Adopting ITSM Tech to Support ITIL Initiatives
- CIO Bart Murphy Improves Service Delivery while Lowering Costs by consolidating services across 6 business units.
- Upstream Print Solutions improve customer service
- Fuji Xerox Australia subsidiary Upstream Print Solutions is rolling out SaaS service delivery to facilities, field engineering, health and safety, client service and...
- The Wall Street Journal: CIO Journal
- Article describes how cloud ITSM:
* Reduces drain on IT, increased response time
* Eliminates roadblocks to completion
* Enables IT to deliver...
All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts