Microsoft opening mall-size data center near Chicago
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. next week plans to flip the switch to open a 700,000-square-foot data center in Northlake, Ill., less than three weeks after opening a 300,000-square-foot facility in Dublin.
Together, the data centers will house hundreds of thousands of servers that will help support the company's new Bing search engine and other online services, Microsoft said.
The data center in Northlake, which is a suburb of Chicago, is slated to open on July 20. It will house containers that can hold 1,800 to 2,500 servers each, said Arne Josefsberg, Microsoft's general manager of infrastructure services, in a blog post.
The Illinois facility will include more than 50 parking stalls for the shipping containers, which Microsoft said can be wheeled in as needed and installed in hours. The facility's second floor will have server racks.
The Dublin facility, which isn't using containers, opened on July 1.
Josefsberg said both data centers include multiple features that promote energy efficiency. For example, the Dublin facility makes "extensive use of outside air" for cooling, while the containers used in Chicago "will help us realize new advancements in power efficiency," he said.
This version of the story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts