Computerworld - With 1.9 million workers on the federal payroll, many U.S. government departments have more employees than there are citizens in the town of Vernon, Conn. Yet the 30,000 people who call Vernon home get the same benefits from SaaS that big government does.
Michael Purcaro, Vernon's emergency management director, says that soon after he took the job, he conducted a test of the town's processes for notifying state and local officials during an emergency. He recalls that using a phone tree system took hours, plus there was a lot of confusion and not everyone was contacted.
Purcaro considered building an emergency notification app, but that would have been "cost-prohibitive," he says. And it would have taken months to roll out.
Instead, Purcaro subscribed to Dell Inc.'s Crisis Management and Alerting Services. The Dell system costs $1 per user per month, and it was working within two weeks.
Purcaro says the town has used the service several times during local emergencies like floods and power outages to relay information to state and municipal crisis managers. "The real value," he says, "is that I can see who has gotten the message and who can respond."
Like officials at larger government agencies, Purcaro appreciates SaaS's economic advantages. "The ROI is incredible," he says.
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts