EPA calls on data center operators to take a leadership role
Computerworld - A recent Environmental Protection Agency study on energy-saving opportunities in servers and data centers noted that the industry uses an enormous amount of energy -- more than 1.5% of all electricity generated in the U.S. -- and that that number is expected to double over the next five years. So it's no surprise that many people see data centers as a major part of the climate change problem.
But the EPA sees this as an opportunity. Data center operators can take a leadership role as part of the global climate change solution. And toward that end, the agency is working to develop an energy performance rating system for data centers.
Just as it is familiar as a mark of energy efficiency in consumer electronics and appliances, in recent years, Energy Star has become known as a symbol of superior energy efficiency for commercial buildings. The more than 6,200 offices, schools, retail stores, hotels and other buildings across the U.S. that have earned the Energy Star label use 35% less energy and generate 35% less greenhouse gas emissions than average buildings.
With the EPA's energy performance rating for data centers, tentatively planned for early 2010, data center operators will be able to assess the energy use of their facilities and will receive a metric that allows them to compare how they are performing relative to their peers. The rating will compare the energy use of one facility against that of similar facilities across the country, using the EPA's unique 1-to-100 rating system.
Here's how it will work: Data center operators will enter basic information about their energy use and operational characteristics into a password-protected account they establish in the EPA's Portfolio Manager, an online energy-benchmarking tool (www.energystar.gov/benchmark). A score of 50 indicates average performance. A score of 75 or higher means the facility is in the top 25% in terms of energy efficiency, qualifying the data center for an Energy Star label.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Topic Center White Papers |