The Indiana Office of Technology publishes a monthly newsletter detailing its green efforts, with the idea that making employees feel successful encourages them to contribute.
Top Green-IT Organizations: State of Indiana, No. 6
Data center consolidation, server virtualization and energy-efficient desktops save nearly $14 million.
Computerworld - When Gerry Weaver was hired as CIO for the state of Indiana two years ago, his mission was threefold: Dramatically improve IT service, reduce costs, and employ green initiatives wherever possible. At the time, the computing infrastructure was a patchwork of aging, nonstandard systems stretched across seven data centers.
By forming a centralized group, the Indiana Office of Technology (IOT), Weaver and his team have moved on their mission aggressively in the past two years. They have consolidated the seven data centers into one, plus a second for disaster recovery, while also reducing server count by one-third through virtualization.
Since many of the state's PCs were older models, it also upgraded 30,000 desktops to Dell machines using Intel Corp.'s vPro chip. That resulted in $400,000 in savings from a reduction in electricity use and an increase in productivity while reducing carbon-dioxide emissions.
The vPro enables IT to manage PCs over the network, eliminating the need to travel to the 800 sites the IOT serves. It is also Energy Star-compliant and provides power management capabilities such as an automatic power-saving mode. "If we can do something here versus two hours of drive time, we're happy," says Weaver.
In all, these moves have generated annual savings of more than $13.9 million. The IOT has been so successful, it's now discussing a pilot program in which it would invite other government entities to use some of its computing resources to eliminate some of their equipment and create further efficiencies.
The IOT motivates its employees by incorporating metrics for green accomplishments into performance-based pay. Chris Mines, an analyst at Forrester Research Inc., agrees that the intertwining of "green and greenbacks" is a big motivator in today's economy.
"Because of alignment of green and green, I don't expect that these initiatives will slow down dramatically or get thrown in reverse," Mines says. "Green is increasingly embedded into how companies operate and live. But the motivator is cost."
Brandel is a Computerworld contributing writer. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts