Computerworld - The data center gets all the press, but there are plenty of other areas where IT professionals and users of IT services can dramatically reduce an organization's effect on the environment. Here are 10 ways to get started:
1. Reduce the amount of data kept in online storage. Online disks spin around the clock, and they need to be cooled. Disks may be full of multiple data copies or ancient files that are rarely opened. Archive historical files to off-line media for storage in the data center.
2. Consolidate IT assets into a single location for shared use. Eliminate private parts and spare equipment caches in favor of a single pool of shared assets. Look here before buying anything else to save money and reduce the amount of electronic equipment that will eventually require disposal.
3. Make use of power-saving features. Ensure that all hardware you install has the power-saver function enabled and that users are locked out of changing it.
4. Buy power-efficient and environment-friendly equipment. Require that all new equipment is compliant with Energy Star and the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) and has an 80Plus power supply. 80Plus power supplies are at least 80% efficient and thereby save electricity. RoHS certification ensures that electronic components contain minimal levels of toxic substances.
5. Use less paper. You save not only the cost of the paper, but also the cost of toner and disposal. Review reports online, and print only the pages you need. Send electronic documents for discussion to each meeting attendee, and require them to print their own copies if they attend. Where practical, order manuals on CD for online access.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts