PwC organized a green week in March, using the event to launch a blog where workers can share ideas. Employees were also encouraged to change their systems' power settings to shut down their monitors instead of using a screensaver with a moving color PwC logo that requires more energy.
Top Green-IT Organizations: PricewaterhouseCoopers, No. 5
A new data center will cut copper consumption and even reduce the number of work shifts and commutes.
Computerworld - When PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP brings its new 80,000-square-foot data center online this fall, the firm will showcase its latest green initiatives as well as the latest IT infrastructure.
The new data center uses high voltage to maximize energy use and reduce copper consumption, says John Regan, director of data center services. Its green design allows it to have 40 to 50 fewer air conditioning units than a conventional space. And when the data center is operational, its staff will work shifts over four days instead of five, cutting 40 weekly commutes.
"Our mind-set is on how we can maximize its potential," says PwC CIO Stuart Fulton.
PwC's efforts to build a highly energy-efficient data center is the latest example of the firm's enthusiasm for driving down energy consumption and building up its green commitments. It also highlights the IT department's importance in this work.
The global services firm has led green initiatives for some time, but they were scattered throughout various departments, says Shannon Schuyler, managing director of corporate responsibility at PwC. But 18 months ago, with the creation of the Corporate Responsibility Group, the firm established overarching goals, including one to reduce its greenhouse emissions by 20% by 2012.
The tech department has been instrumental in moving PwC toward that objective.
Tech workers have centralized hundreds of servers from remote offices and virtualized 1,050 servers since 2004, resulting in annual savings of 2.75 million kWh. In the past two years, IT has rolled out VoIP, consolidating voice infrastructure onto the data network to realize energy and capital savings.
Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts