University admits to third data breach in three months
Computerworld - The University of Florida in Gainesville late last month disclosed that a breach discovered in January exposed personal data on 97,200 students, faculty and staffers who attended or worked at the school between 1996 and 2009.
The latest breach involved a 20-year-old server that hosted free e-mail services and online course offerings for faculty members, as well as Web sites for fraternities and sororities.
The intrusion was discovered during a routine systems review by the university's IT staff, said a spokeswoman. She said the hackers accessed names and Social Security numbers.
The school is notifying most of those affected by the breach, the spokeswoman said, adding that it does not have contact information for about 5,000 potential victims. It is also creating an IT task force charged with finding possible security issues "before they become problems," she said.
Meanwhile, the school said in November that the names, birth dates, Social Security numbers and addresses of more than 330,000 current and former College of Dentistry patients had been exposed in a computer intrusion discovered on Oct. 3.
And an undated statement now on its Web site says a configuration error in the school's LDAP directory server opened a path for hackers to access the personal data of about 100 people.
This version of the story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!