Seagate moves to fix disk drive flaws
Computerworld - Last week, Seagate Technology LLC tried to appease users who for the past two months have swarmed its online support forum to complain that desktop hard drives have been freezing up during data transfers or failing altogether.
Seagate late last week released the second of two fixes for the firmware bug that caused the problem, and it offered affected users free data recovery services from its i365 business unit.
The company first tried to fix the bug on Jan. 16, but new firmware it released that day had flaws of its own.
Seagate said the firmware bug affected its flagship high-capacity Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive and its Barracuda ES.2 and DiamondMax 22 Serial ATA drives.
According to users on Seagate's online support forum, the faulty drives were freezing for about 30 seconds during I/O transfers of streaming video or when reading or writing files at low speeds.
A Seagate spokesman said the company doesn't know how many of the drives are failing. "The best information we have right now is that it's a pretty small population of our drives," he said.
Duncan Clarke, managing director at Retrodata, a Lymington, England-based data recovery firm, said he and some colleagues in the data recovery industry believe that failure rates on Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 drive are upwards of 30%.
"We've been aware of this problem since November," said Clarke, noting that the number of Barracuda drives he has been asked to fix has exceeded the number of other models sent in for repairs by a factor of 30.
Jeff Pederson, manager of operations at Kroll Ontrack Inc., a provider of data recovery services in Minneapolis, said 100 Barracuda 7200.11 drives have been sent to his firm for service, including 50 in the past two weeks.
The Barracuda 7200.11 is the eleventh generation of Seagate's flagship drive for desktop PCs. It can store 160GB to 1.5TB of data.
This version of the story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition.
Got something to add? Let us know in the article comments.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts