The Grill: Pixel Qi's Mary Lou Jepsen on OLPC and the future of display technology
Pixel Qi's CEO talks about One Laptop Per Child, the future of display technology and a target market of 7 billion.
Computerworld - Mary Lou Jepsen is the former chief technology officer of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) organization. Her discoveries in display technology have helped create the XO, a laptop known for its low price and eco-friendliness. She is now focusing on advancing display technology with her company, Pixel Qi, which she founded in early 2008.
You gained worldwide recognition for your work with OLPC. How are you taking these technologies further with Pixel Qi? There is something about starting fresh. We started with a blank slate at Pixel Qi, and we have some very cool new screen designs that we anticipate will be on store shelves [this] year in both laptops and e-book readers.
The OLPC screen was great but never had great color; its color was washed out -- by design. We started over and came up with a new design -- a new kind of LCD screen that has great color, but also a stunning e-paper mode, which is also a dramatic improvement over the OLPC e-paper state. In addition, we have driven the power consumption down. We are working on intertwining the display with the CPU and motherboard to dramatically further lower the cost and vastly prolong the battery life of the laptop between charges.
Longer term, we are developing products for 2010-2011 where we can completely remove the backlight from the LCD in laptops. These displays will be bright and colorful in room light and bright sunlight. They will be easy to read and offer ultralow power consumption -- less than 1% of current LCD power consumption.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts