Feds find high level of fraud in H-1B petitions
Computerworld - A recent review of 246 H-1B visa applications by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) found that 21% contained fraudulent information or "technical violations" of federal laws and regulations.
The violation rate was even higher in cases involving computer professionals. Twenty-eight of the 104 that were examined, or 27%, had violations of some sort, according to a USCIS report that was finalized in September and publicly released last week by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).
USCIS investigators examined a random sample of the nearly 97,000 H-1B petitions filed in late 2005 and early 2006. They found problems such as forged signatures, fake degrees and the use of shell companies in applications. Other issues were discovered during visits to work sites. For instance, some employers "benched" H-1B holders when work wasn't available or had them doing jobs that weren't listed on their visa applications, the report said.
The report's authors called the level of fraud a "significant vulnerability" for the H-1B program and wrote that the USCIS is making "procedural changes" in response to the findings. An agency spokesman said Friday that possible steps include checking applications against external records and using fraud indicators to flag petitions for increased scrutiny.
This version of the story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition.
Got something to add? Let us know in the article comments.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.