Supercomputer plan takes flight in Saudi Arabia
Computerworld - A supercomputer that could rank among the world's most powerful systems will be installed at Saudi Arabia's new King Abdullah University of Science and Technology next year.
The IBM-built system, named Shaheen (Arabic for "peregrine falcon"), is a 16-rack Blue Gene/P system with 65,536 processor cores that deliver speeds of up to 222 TFLOPS.
The supercomputer is being built at IBM's T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, N.Y.
IBM estimated that Shaheen will be the sixth-fastest supercomputer in the world when it's installed, but the university plans to quickly add capacity, creating a petascale system in two years.
King Abdullah University in Thuwal is due to open in September 2009. Its data center, which will house the supercomputer, is slated to open next summer.
"The best thing about [the new university] is we have no legacy systems and no legacy thinking," said interim CIO Majid Al-Ghaslan.
Al-Ghaslan said researchers will use the supercomputer for a wide range of work in life and physical sciences, including processing and studying data for the country's massive oil fields.
The system will also be used for high-performance computing research, he said.
Officials hope Shaheen will help attract scientists from around the world to the university. "World-class scientists expect world-class facilities," Al-Ghaslan said.
The world's largest supercomputer, IBM's Roadrunner, housed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, crossed the petascale mark in June, with 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts