Personal E-health Records May Give Automation a Push
Computerworld - This version of this article originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition
Microsoft, Google and Dossia are all developing Web sites where individuals can aggregate personal health records from a variety of sources. The data in a PHR can be formatted to fit onto a USB drive or DVD-ROM that the user can easily carry. In an emergency, a PHR could provide a doctor with basic information about a patient, such as his allergies or prescriptions. But doctors say it is no substitute for a more detailed, institutional electronic health record.
Providers may "dumb down" summary data for a PHR, and users can add or delete information. "That may shoot it down with physicians," says John Quinn, chief technology officer at standards group HL7.
But will people use them? John Halamka, CIO at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, thinks that about 20% of users will find creating a PHR to be worthwhile. And those early adopters may start demanding that providers maintain health care records in electronic form. "Some good use cases will start forcing labs, clinics and hospitals to start producing clinical summaries in the national format," Halamka says. In that way, PHRs could prompt providers to finally get their own, internal electronic records systems in order.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!