Visual tools for BP's crisis managers
A Web-based tool combining 3-D satellite imagery and real-time weather data helps crisis managers at energy company BP make quicker, better decisions.
Computerworld - This version of the story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition.
Brian Autio has to predict Mother Nature so his employer, energy giant BP PLC, knows how to react.
For years, Autio, BP's geospatial team lead for the Gulf of Mexico, used a mishmash of tools -- from satellite images to paper wall maps dotted with pushpins -- to accomplish his work.
His system got the job done, but it was cumbersome. There was clearly room for improvement. "It's just a very intense process, and it lends itself perfectly to technology," Autio says.
He and his colleagues now have a more advanced way to help them do their jobs: BP's Crisis Management System. It uses 3-D satellite imagery, real-time weather data, and a visual representation of the company's workers, their homes and corporate assets to deliver a truly visual assessment of what's happening where. The Web-based tool enables the Houston-based crisis team, top management in the U.K. and executives around the world to view the same information in real time, helping them improve their decision-making capabilities.
"Having these more advanced kind of tools is bringing a lot of value to storm management," says Bradley Williams, an energy and utilities analyst at Gartner Inc. "It's basically being able to assess the situation and respond much quicker, because you're able to pull all that information together, assess the damage and prioritize response."
BP had been moving toward the development of its Crisis Management System for several years. The company already had high-tech tools like satellite feeds and mapping systems to help track and manage events.
However, the pieces didn't always work together. Autio says he would spend three or four hours before a planning meeting manually pulling data from up to 20 databases and Web-based sources. But BP officials didn't have a lot of time when a disaster like a hurricane was barreling down on the company's workers and assets.
"There was a lot of pressure to get something done quickly, and it had to be right," Autio says.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!