- View the top 100 ranking
- No. 1: Capital Group Cos.
- Tops for training, benefits
- 31,000 IT workers weigh in
- What's the worst place?
- Methodology: How we chose the Best Places
- Editor's Note: Collaboration can tame the IT work beast
- Opinion: Eliminate reasons for IT staffers to leave their jobs
- Opinion: Five tips for attracting Gen-Yers
No. 58: Genentech Inc.
Risk-taking and innovation are valued and encouraged
Computerworld - When you're developing a cure for cancer, a sense of urgency is important. But combine that intense sense of mission with an informal, nonhierarchical workplace that offers plenty of perks, and you've got Genentech Inc.
"Cancer is the competition; that's who we're trying to beat," says Todd Pierce, vice president of corporate IT. It's just that the serious mission is being pursued at a place that also offers doggie day care, a shuttle bus throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and freshly made sushi at lunch.
The culture in IT at the 30-year-old biotech firm is very open to risk-taking, innovation and trying new approaches, Pierce says, especially when it comes to providing scientists and other employees with tools for mobility and collaboration.
For instance, Genentech will be one of the first pharmaceutical companies to roll out Salesforce.com to its commercial business, and it plans to deploy 3,000 Apple iPhones to its employees. In the first week the iPhone was available, Pierce says, IT had seven applications for it already developed. It's also in the process of moving to Google's calendar and e-mail applications.
Ideas don't get hindered by hierarchy: Pierce has established a requirement that IT be made up of only 10% management. "We don't want an overmanaged workforce," he says. "In many organizations, the energy gets lost to bureaucracy."
Systems administrator Ben Zuffi agrees that the culture encourages innovation.
"You're not burdened with hoops to jump through," he says.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All IT Careers White Papers |
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.