- View the top 100 ranking
- No. 1: Capital Group Cos.
- Tops for training, benefits
- 31,000 IT workers weigh in
- What's the worst place?
- Methodology: How we chose the Best Places
- Editor's Note: Collaboration can tame the IT work beast
- Opinion: Eliminate reasons for IT staffers to leave their jobs
- Opinion: Five tips for attracting Gen-Yers
No. 58: Genentech Inc.
Risk-taking and innovation are valued and encouraged
Computerworld - When you're developing a cure for cancer, a sense of urgency is important. But combine that intense sense of mission with an informal, nonhierarchical workplace that offers plenty of perks, and you've got Genentech Inc.
"Cancer is the competition; that's who we're trying to beat," says Todd Pierce, vice president of corporate IT. It's just that the serious mission is being pursued at a place that also offers doggie day care, a shuttle bus throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and freshly made sushi at lunch.
The culture in IT at the 30-year-old biotech firm is very open to risk-taking, innovation and trying new approaches, Pierce says, especially when it comes to providing scientists and other employees with tools for mobility and collaboration.
For instance, Genentech will be one of the first pharmaceutical companies to roll out Salesforce.com to its commercial business, and it plans to deploy 3,000 Apple iPhones to its employees. In the first week the iPhone was available, Pierce says, IT had seven applications for it already developed. It's also in the process of moving to Google's calendar and e-mail applications.
Ideas don't get hindered by hierarchy: Pierce has established a requirement that IT be made up of only 10% management. "We don't want an overmanaged workforce," he says. "In many organizations, the energy gets lost to bureaucracy."
Systems administrator Ben Zuffi agrees that the culture encourages innovation.
"You're not burdened with hoops to jump through," he says.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- eBay uses 100% OpenSource WSO2 ESB to process more than 1Billion transactions a day Along with eBay's success comes a huge demand to ensure reliable, 24x7 availability of the services that enable these transactions. For eBay, that...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.