- View the top 100 ranking
- No. 1: Capital Group Cos.
- Tops for training, benefits
- 31,000 IT workers weigh in
- What's the worst place?
- Methodology: How we chose the Best Places
- Editor's Note: Collaboration can tame the IT work beast
- Opinion: Eliminate reasons for IT staffers to leave their jobs
- Opinion: Five tips for attracting Gen-Yers
No. 58: Genentech Inc.
Risk-taking and innovation are valued and encouraged
Computerworld - When you're developing a cure for cancer, a sense of urgency is important. But combine that intense sense of mission with an informal, nonhierarchical workplace that offers plenty of perks, and you've got Genentech Inc.
"Cancer is the competition; that's who we're trying to beat," says Todd Pierce, vice president of corporate IT. It's just that the serious mission is being pursued at a place that also offers doggie day care, a shuttle bus throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and freshly made sushi at lunch.
The culture in IT at the 30-year-old biotech firm is very open to risk-taking, innovation and trying new approaches, Pierce says, especially when it comes to providing scientists and other employees with tools for mobility and collaboration.
For instance, Genentech will be one of the first pharmaceutical companies to roll out Salesforce.com to its commercial business, and it plans to deploy 3,000 Apple iPhones to its employees. In the first week the iPhone was available, Pierce says, IT had seven applications for it already developed. It's also in the process of moving to Google's calendar and e-mail applications.
Ideas don't get hindered by hierarchy: Pierce has established a requirement that IT be made up of only 10% management. "We don't want an overmanaged workforce," he says. "In many organizations, the energy gets lost to bureaucracy."
Systems administrator Ben Zuffi agrees that the culture encourages innovation.
"You're not burdened with hoops to jump through," he says.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.