Global Dispatches: EU parliament OKs Galileo satellite project
EU Parliament OKs Satellite Project
The parliament's approval was the final hurdle for the €3.4 billion ($5.4 billion U.S.) Galileo system, a joint development effort of the EU and the European Space Agency.
Parliament member Etelka Barsi-Pataky noted that the effort marks "the first infrastructure in Europe that is commonly built and jointly owned."
In a statement, the parliament said that work on the system will start this year, once contractors are selected.
Galileo, which is similar to the U.S. government's Global Positioning System, is due to be deployed by 2013. -- Paul Meller, IDG News Service
Aussie Utility, CSC Ink Services Deal
PERTH, Australia -- Western Power, an electric utility owned by the Western Australian government, has signed a three-year IT services contract valued at $15.4 million Australian ($14.5 million U.S.) with Computer Sciences Corp.
The first IT outsourcing contract awarded by Western Power, the deal calls for Falls Church, Va.-based CSC to migrate the utility's mainframe processing to its Melbourne mainframe center and provide support services to the utility. Western Power CIO Leigh Sprlyan said the Perth-based utility selected CSC in part for its consumption-based pricing model, which requires payment only for mainframe capacity used. -- Sandra Rossi, Computerworld Australia
India's largest outsourcer, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., blamed an uncertain U.S. economy for lower-than-anticipated revenue and profit growth in its fiscal year that ended March 31. Nonetheless, Tata said its profits rose 32% from the previous year to $1.25 billion (U.S.) as sales rose 33% to $5.7 billion. -- John Ribeiro, IDG News Service
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.