Global Dispatches: EU parliament OKs Galileo satellite project
EU Parliament OKs Satellite Project
The parliament's approval was the final hurdle for the €3.4 billion ($5.4 billion U.S.) Galileo system, a joint development effort of the EU and the European Space Agency.
Parliament member Etelka Barsi-Pataky noted that the effort marks "the first infrastructure in Europe that is commonly built and jointly owned."
In a statement, the parliament said that work on the system will start this year, once contractors are selected.
Galileo, which is similar to the U.S. government's Global Positioning System, is due to be deployed by 2013. -- Paul Meller, IDG News Service
Aussie Utility, CSC Ink Services Deal
PERTH, Australia -- Western Power, an electric utility owned by the Western Australian government, has signed a three-year IT services contract valued at $15.4 million Australian ($14.5 million U.S.) with Computer Sciences Corp.
The first IT outsourcing contract awarded by Western Power, the deal calls for Falls Church, Va.-based CSC to migrate the utility's mainframe processing to its Melbourne mainframe center and provide support services to the utility. Western Power CIO Leigh Sprlyan said the Perth-based utility selected CSC in part for its consumption-based pricing model, which requires payment only for mainframe capacity used. -- Sandra Rossi, Computerworld Australia
India's largest outsourcer, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., blamed an uncertain U.S. economy for lower-than-anticipated revenue and profit growth in its fiscal year that ended March 31. Nonetheless, Tata said its profits rose 32% from the previous year to $1.25 billion (U.S.) as sales rose 33% to $5.7 billion. -- John Ribeiro, IDG News Service
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.