Global Dispatches: EU parliament OKs Galileo satellite project
EU Parliament OKs Satellite Project
The parliament's approval was the final hurdle for the €3.4 billion ($5.4 billion U.S.) Galileo system, a joint development effort of the EU and the European Space Agency.
Parliament member Etelka Barsi-Pataky noted that the effort marks "the first infrastructure in Europe that is commonly built and jointly owned."
In a statement, the parliament said that work on the system will start this year, once contractors are selected.
Galileo, which is similar to the U.S. government's Global Positioning System, is due to be deployed by 2013. -- Paul Meller, IDG News Service
Aussie Utility, CSC Ink Services Deal
PERTH, Australia -- Western Power, an electric utility owned by the Western Australian government, has signed a three-year IT services contract valued at $15.4 million Australian ($14.5 million U.S.) with Computer Sciences Corp.
The first IT outsourcing contract awarded by Western Power, the deal calls for Falls Church, Va.-based CSC to migrate the utility's mainframe processing to its Melbourne mainframe center and provide support services to the utility. Western Power CIO Leigh Sprlyan said the Perth-based utility selected CSC in part for its consumption-based pricing model, which requires payment only for mainframe capacity used. -- Sandra Rossi, Computerworld Australia
India's largest outsourcer, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., blamed an uncertain U.S. economy for lower-than-anticipated revenue and profit growth in its fiscal year that ended March 31. Nonetheless, Tata said its profits rose 32% from the previous year to $1.25 billion (U.S.) as sales rose 33% to $5.7 billion. -- John Ribeiro, IDG News Service
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts