Location: Austin, TX
What's special: Uses server virtualization to run 600 servers on just 150 physical machines, thus slicing energy use by 40%.
What's cheap: Receives 35% of revenue online.
Top 12 green-IT users: No. 7 Austin Energy
Computerworld - Austin Energy is no Johnny-come-lately to energy efficiency among U.S. companies. The $1.2 billion power company estimates that it has saved energy equivalent to the output of a 660-megawatt power plant since 1985, when it launched the first in an extensive lineup of innovative energy conservation and renewable resources programs. Austin Energy's goal is to boost that total savings by an additional 750 megawatts of power by 2020.
Also, for the sixth year in a row, the city-owned power company ranks as the No. 1 seller of green energy, including solar and wind power, among all U.S. electric utilities.
"We pride ourselves on being one of the most progressive utilities in the world," says CIO Andres Carvallo.
The most important goal of Austin Energy's energy-saving initiatives is reducing reliance on electricity and thus lowering overall carbon dioxide emissions. To reach that goal, it plans to use technologies such as smart appliances to monitor and control power usage at customer sites. The utility also plans to implement new server and storage technology, including multicore CPUs, virtualization, and de-duplication and compression techniques in its own data center.
Currently, the company's 1,600- person IT department is running just over 600 servers on 150 physical machines. This translates to 40% energy savings, says Carvallo.
Location: Austin, TX
Austin Energy's IT group manages 195,000 real-time devices used for automated electricity metering and distribution. That number will increase to 500,000 devices by early 2009. The company also now receives 35% of its revenue online, up from no online payments in 2003.
Henry Wong, a member of The Green Grid consortium, lauds Austin Energy's IT efforts, which have enabled the utility to communicate with customers about their time-sensitive power requirements. A so-called smart power grid, which delivers power when needed and conserves power when it isn't needed, would be impossible without such communication, he says.
"We know that technology can facilitate that with better automation and controls," adds Wong. "Austin Energy is willing to become the proving ground by offering that automation to monitor demand and have systems capable of being able to react to that demand."
Next: No. 8 WellPoint Inc.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts