ISPs to rural America: Live with dial-up
Rural areas need broadband. But deregulation has freed carriers from any real obligation to offer it. The market will never provide universal broadband access without regulation or subsidies, but the U.S. lacks both a coherent policy and the political will to address the issue. Even as the telephony infrastructure itself is absorbed into the Internet, some policy-makers still fail to view broadband as the new critical infrastructure.
Rossey remains incredulous about his experience. "If you can bring electricity to a house, we should be able to bring Internet access," he says.
You'd think so. At this point, however, it's probably too late to go back to the future.
What should be done about the lack of broadband access in rural communities? Is it unfair to ask people in more densely populated regions to subsidize rural residents, as is done with telephone service? Please post your thoughts in the comment area below.
See also: What's the Best Broadband Provider?
Robert L. Mitchell is a Computerworld national correspondent. Contact him at robert_mitchell@ computerworld.com.
Related News and Discussion:
- Robert L. Mitchell: Rural broadband drought puts hurt on retailer
- Preston Gralla: A look at the FCC's broadband lies
- Preston Gralla: Another anemic showing for U.S. broadband
- Sprint details WiMax plans, to offer access via millions of device chips
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!