No. 1: Quicken Loans
Seeing is believing for visitors to this three-time top-ranked firm.
Computerworld - After lunching recently with an old friend he hadn't seen in a few years, Jona Jeffords invited his buddy to come back and see where he works as a software engineer at Quicken Loans Inc. in Livonia, Mich.
The friend took in the brightly colored murals on the walls, the open floor plan, the banners for various IT teams with names like "Speed Demons" and "Jedi Council" and, of course, the free-flowing popcorn and cappuccino. He also noticed how the CIO and other executives sat at desks alongside their teams rather than in remote offices off in a corner.
"By the time he left, he was asking me where he could go and apply. Just by the vibe he got, he knew he wanted to work here," Jeffords says.
Quicken Loans IT employees
None of this comes as a surprise to Quicken Loans CIO Frank Laura. A significant percentage of Quicken Loans' growing IT staff have come to the company via employee referrals. "Good people here know other good people," Laura says. In fact, through Quicken Loans' Talent Scout program, employees collect $2,000 for every new hire they refer.
What keeps them with the company, IT employees say, is access to cutting-edge technology, daily opportunities to implement good ideas, a culture that encourages and rewards creativity, and oh yes, those over-the-top holiday parties and bus trips to NBA games and rock concerts. (Quicken Loans' founder and chairman, Dan Gilbert, also owns the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers.)
Rick Scero, who manages a business intelligence team, had been with the company only three or four months when an executive handed him a book of tickets for suite seats at a Detroit Tigers baseball game. "He didn't come over and say, 'Here's a ticket for you.' He said, 'Here's a whole book of tickets for your team and their families,'" Scero recalls. It's no wonder, Scero adds, that he has been asked by more than a few friends and family members for help getting a job at the company. "I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want them to work in an environment like this," he says.
"We don't have one thing. It's 1,001 little things that make us unique," says Laura. But company culture seems to top that list of little things. From Day One, IT employees are immersed in the Quicken Loans culture, which they describe as "democratic," "energetic," "creative," and "work hard/play hard."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts