Q&A: Calif. CIO Steers Clear of Ideology on File Formats
Kelso says state is looking at document choices ‘as a straight business decision’
Computerworld - In late February, a California state assembly member proposed a bill that would mandate the use of open, XML-based document file formats by state agencies. That made California the third state in which such legislation has been introduced so far this year. In an interview at Computerworld’s Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference in Palm Desert, Calif., this month, J. Clark Kelso, California's CIO, said state officials are trying to view the issue of using open file formats “as a straight business decision,” not an ideological battle. Excerpts from the interview follow:
Are open document formats the most critical issue for you, or is it more important for the state to get to open-source software?
I feel like I have to say that, because in the open-source community, there’s a little bit of the ideological approach. It’s part of their community-building experience. Open documents is a little bit different from that, particularly when you bring in concerns that the government has about preserving, on a 100-year basis, archival information. We have to take a serious look at what is in the state’s best interests.
Belgium’s national government plans to adopt the OpenDocument format, but one IT executive there told me it couldn’t do so without ODF plug-ins for Microsoft Office. Do you feel the same way? Our installed base of Office right now is so huge, we could not just overnight or within the course of one year make that sort of a transition. If we’re going to move in a particular direction, we have to be thinking about how we transition to that new state [in] three, four or five years. It may be that in the interim, we have to adopt something that is transitional. But I frankly see this as still a very fluid issue in the marketplace. I don’t know that I need to make a decision today.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts