Computerworld - Best-practice support processes need to be well defined, repeatable and compliant with industry standards like CMM and ITIL. Designing and implementing them is hard work. But if you stick with it, the dividends in reduced operational costs as well as improved quality and customer satisfaction are well worth the effort. It has been my experience that where defined, repeatable processes and metrics are implemented, a savings of 30% to 50% in IT support costs is likely. In order to achieve these savings, processes must formally document the answers to the following questions:
- What type of work is being done?
- How can the same type of work be done with a high degree of repeatability?
- Who is doing the work? What are their specific roles? Who is responsible?
- What supporting documents or other deliverables are required as part of each task?
- How do we know that what was requested was delivered?
- How do we define quality in work products produced?
- How do we capture data on all work performed and the people who do that work?
- How do we measure performance, productivity, quality and customer satisfaction within all work processes, products or services?
These last questions are particularly crucial. Embedded within any good support process must be the ability to capture and report operational data that provides feedback on how the processes and resources are performing.
With questions like these as your framework and the 25 truths of IT support as guidelines, you’ll avoid missteps as you build your support processes.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Changing Face of Collaboration in the Enterprise The importance of having enterprise content anywhere is the main focus of this article. Along with this, having an API-based environment with collaborative...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Benefits of Automated Log Management This paper discusses the challenges associated with effective log management and enables you to better define best practices and requirements for log management...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Management White Papers | Webcasts