Click and change the world: Microfinance for the masses
Media Temple, which has offered Web hosting services for the past eight years, launched a grid-based system in October that can scale “infinitely,” says CEO Demian Sellfors. So instead of offering each client a site on a single shared server, the service is spread across hundreds of servers. Organizations pay a set cost for 1,000 grid performance units, with additional fees if they exceed that amount.
Kiva, which started with a printer and six personal laptops brought in by its workers, is expanding its operations. Last July, it finally acquired office space, two doors down from a laundromat in San Francisco’s Mission District. Its budget is increasing from just over $125,000 in 2006 to $500,000 for 2007, says Chief Operating Officer Olana Khan. Frazao says Kiva might even buy him a new laptop.
Loftier goals include expanding the marketplace and bringing more lenders and borrowers together, says Matt Flannery. There’s also a plan to pay investors back with interest.
“There is a huge potential to access capital from people like you and me,” says Bladin. “Kiva is tapping into that. How big that is or how far you can go with that, I don’t know.”
Kiva staffers don’t know either, but they’re sure that the organization’s impact will be significant. “We’re just seeing the beginning,” Frazao says. “Kiva is about to get really big.”
Kiva is at www.kiva.org.
For more about using technology to match resources with those who need them, see:
Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass. Contact her at email@example.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts