Click and change the world: Microfinance for the masses
Media Temple, which has offered Web hosting services for the past eight years, launched a grid-based system in October that can scale “infinitely,” says CEO Demian Sellfors. So instead of offering each client a site on a single shared server, the service is spread across hundreds of servers. Organizations pay a set cost for 1,000 grid performance units, with additional fees if they exceed that amount.
Kiva, which started with a printer and six personal laptops brought in by its workers, is expanding its operations. Last July, it finally acquired office space, two doors down from a laundromat in San Francisco’s Mission District. Its budget is increasing from just over $125,000 in 2006 to $500,000 for 2007, says Chief Operating Officer Olana Khan. Frazao says Kiva might even buy him a new laptop.
Loftier goals include expanding the marketplace and bringing more lenders and borrowers together, says Matt Flannery. There’s also a plan to pay investors back with interest.
“There is a huge potential to access capital from people like you and me,” says Bladin. “Kiva is tapping into that. How big that is or how far you can go with that, I don’t know.”
Kiva staffers don’t know either, but they’re sure that the organization’s impact will be significant. “We’re just seeing the beginning,” Frazao says. “Kiva is about to get really big.”
Kiva is at www.kiva.org.
For more about using technology to match resources with those who need them, see:
Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass. Contact her at email@example.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts