Bank of America: Investing in Six Sigma
Bank of America’s quality drive is paying off.
Computerworld - Two years ago, when Barbara J. Desoer was named global technology, service and fulfillment executive at Bank of America Corp., she immediately began applying to its IT and fulfillment practices the Six Sigma quality management expertise she had developed as chief of the bank’s consumer products group.
The investment is already paying off in more efficient processes, better alignment with business and even increased sales.
Other stories in this report:
Desoer assigned a team leader to use Six Sigma techniques to create a single application development methodology. That standard has been introduced to the consumer and small-business banking units and is being rolled out to Bank of America’s capital markets and wholesale banking businesses, with its wealth management and investment management groups to follow.
Desoer is optimistic that the standardized methodology will reduce development time and help make developers and project team members more transferable across business units in coming years. That could be crucial if an exodus of retiring baby boomer technologists and a widely anticipated shortage of entry-level IT workers make it tougher for the bank to find and recruit people with the skills it needs, Desoer says. “We are going to be increasingly challenged to find highly qualified technology associates five to 10 years out,” she adds.
Bank of America
Jim Eckenrode, an analyst at Tower¿Group Inc. in Needham, Mass., applauds this effort. As financial institutions modernize their IT portfolios, the need to attract people with cutting-edge technology and business skills will become more acute than ever, particularly as banks find themselves competing for IT talent with “sexier” firms such as Google Inc., says Eckenrode. “Providing people with exposure to a lot of areas while keeping their skills fresh is a good strategy,” he says.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts