Avi Rubin is at the forefront of the e-voting issue. He is a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University specializing in e-voting security issues and an elections judge in Maryland’s Baltimore County. Rubin also wrote Brave New Ballot: The Battle to Safeguard Democracy in the Age of Electronic Voting, a book released last month that is critical of electronic voting. In an interview with Computerworld late last month, Rubin recounted his experience in Maryland’s September primary election and lists what he sees as problems with e-voting machines.
What are e-poll books? They are like a laptop with a smart card and a soft keyboard on the screen where you touch the letters. They control whether or not you get to vote.
Did the security seal, which is used to prevent tampering, work as promised? The tamper tape is on the inside of the machine over the bay that holds the memory card. I noticed one machine had frozen, and I couldn’t get it to work, so we decided to reboot it. To get at the on/off switch, we pulled off the tamper tape and opened the bay. Inside, I could see the memory card. I couldn’t believe the tape was that easy to get on and off.
Can the problems you saw with the primary be fixed in time for the November election?We’re a model of democracy, and we have one of the worst voting systems in the world. We’re doing everything in this country to create doubts in the voters’ and candidates’ minds.
What can voters do to ensure that their votes are counted? First, we should ditch electronic polling books and get voter registration cards. When the voter is done, they put in an envelope taped to the machine. We put something in place in the next seven weeks.
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results
- Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data
- HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data... All Government IT White Papers
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- All Government IT Webcasts