Avi Rubin is at the forefront of the e-voting issue. He is a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University specializing in e-voting security issues and an elections judge in Maryland’s Baltimore County. Rubin also wrote Brave New Ballot: The Battle to Safeguard Democracy in the Age of Electronic Voting, a book released last month that is critical of electronic voting. In an interview with Computerworld late last month, Rubin recounted his experience in Maryland’s September primary election and lists what he sees as problems with e-voting machines.
What are e-poll books? They are like a laptop with a smart card and a soft keyboard on the screen where you touch the letters. They control whether or not you get to vote.
Did the security seal, which is used to prevent tampering, work as promised? The tamper tape is on the inside of the machine over the bay that holds the memory card. I noticed one machine had frozen, and I couldn’t get it to work, so we decided to reboot it. To get at the on/off switch, we pulled off the tamper tape and opened the bay. Inside, I could see the memory card. I couldn’t believe the tape was that easy to get on and off.
Can the problems you saw with the primary be fixed in time for the November election?We’re a model of democracy, and we have one of the worst voting systems in the world. We’re doing everything in this country to create doubts in the voters’ and candidates’ minds.
What can voters do to ensure that their votes are counted? First, we should ditch electronic polling books and get voter registration cards. When the voter is done, they put in an envelope taped to the machine. We put something in place in the next seven weeks.
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
Today, many government agencies – civilian and defense – find themselves in a technology quandary: the volume of data that must be stored is growing rapidly, while shrinking budgets are limiting capital expenditures (i.e. – servers, storage devices, etc.) required to store all of this data.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Top Three Reasons Why Customers Deploy EMC VNX with EMC VPLEX
- What if you could build a cost effective, continuously available storage infrastructure? Learn the top reasons users are deploying EMC VNX with EMC...
- Clearing the Clouds for Midmarket Businesses
- The 10-point checklist included in this expert brief has been developed to help small and midsize businesses select the cloud model and cloud...
- Perforce Case Study
- Learn how EMC cost-effectively transformed their infrastructure and improved storage performance by 60% by unifying storage, deploying virtualization and leveraging Flash to meet...
- Data Center Transformation: Balancing user demands with IT mandates
- There's a flood of user requirements, computing trends, and new technologies driving the need for you to look closely at your IT infrastructure. All Government IT White Papers
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth?
- Bring Mobile Innovation to your Enterprise.
- With the mobility revolution well underway, CIO's and Line of Business owners are faced with the struggle to develop a winning mobile strategy. All Government IT Webcasts