Humana Inc.: Keeping a Watchful Eye on Patients
Individuals struggling with illness are identified and helped, driving down costs and improving care
Computerworld - Humana Inc.'s business intelligence application recently sorted through claims to flag one particular member: a 44-year-old man hospitalized for a ruptured appendix. He had shown up as a "high utilizer" of health care services, prompting a call from one of Humana's personal nurses.
The nurse discovered that the man also had cancer and was struggling with social issues. She learned that he was having difficulty paying medical bills. She helped him better understand his medical condition and referred him to several agencies for financial help.
"Medical Metrics has allowed us to find a lot of folks who have not been identified for our disease management or personal nurse programs, folks who are high-cost, high-need members," says Gary Thompson, vice president of clinical programs.
N. Venkatraman, a professor and chairman of the information systems department at the Boston University School of Management, says BI is particularly important for health-care- related organizations because of increasing costs and competitive pressures.
Moreover, he says, BI is indeed identifying these high-cost patients who "might have fallen through the cracks."
Humana started the first phase of its BI implementations with Medical Metrics in 2003, says Bruce Sterpka, vice president for corporate information management. Louisville, Ky.-based Humana opted to develop its own BI tools because workers didn't find "an off-the-shelf solution that delivered all that our business asked for."
The company also wanted more flexibility than it could get with commercial products, says Marcus Bourke, Medical Metrics product manager, because it has to rapidly adjust to changes in the health care market.
In addition, Bourke says, Humana wanted a tool that was easy to use. "We want someone to be able to come in the door and, with an hour-and-a-half training session, be up and running with this tool," he explains.
Clinical staff members use Medical Metrics to identify high utilizers. Underwriters use it when developing rates for groups, and actuaries use it to help identify trends.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts