Steering the Steering Committee
Here's how to get the most out of your executive overseers.
Computerworld - Alignment remains a hot topic for CIOs because many organizations are still struggling to get senior business executives and IT leaders on the same page. Fifty-six percent of IT departments understand and support their business users needs to a large extent, according to a 2005 IT Governance Institute survey of almost 700 CIOs and CEOs. But that still leaves 44% in need of improvement. Many companies use IT steering committees to provide guidance and prioritize technology projects. Yet guiding the activities of these groups and getting the most out of their efforts can be tricky. Computerworld asked four IT executives for their ideas on how to work with steering committees. Heres what they told us.
CIO, DTE Energy Co.
DO get the finance staff involved early.
Lynne Ellyn, CIO of DTE Energy Co.
DON'T let the objective become managing IT costs. Ellyn says theres a common perception that steering committees should focus on IT cost containment, but dont let that view take hold. The charter should be to maximize the performance of the organization, she says. Ellyns committee looks at the business case for individual IT projects from a cross-functional perspective. Cost savings are laid out in the project plans, and future budgets are adjusted for those expected savings, she adds.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts