Steering the Steering Committee
Here's how to get the most out of your executive overseers.
Computerworld - Alignment remains a hot topic for CIOs because many organizations are still struggling to get senior business executives and IT leaders on the same page. Fifty-six percent of IT departments understand and support their business users needs to a large extent, according to a 2005 IT Governance Institute survey of almost 700 CIOs and CEOs. But that still leaves 44% in need of improvement. Many companies use IT steering committees to provide guidance and prioritize technology projects. Yet guiding the activities of these groups and getting the most out of their efforts can be tricky. Computerworld asked four IT executives for their ideas on how to work with steering committees. Heres what they told us.
CIO, DTE Energy Co.
DO get the finance staff involved early.
Lynne Ellyn, CIO of DTE Energy Co.
DON'T let the objective become managing IT costs. Ellyn says theres a common perception that steering committees should focus on IT cost containment, but dont let that view take hold. The charter should be to maximize the performance of the organization, she says. Ellyns committee looks at the business case for individual IT projects from a cross-functional perspective. Cost savings are laid out in the project plans, and future budgets are adjusted for those expected savings, she adds.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts