Computerworld - When former CA Chairman and CEO Sanjay Kumar pleaded guilty last week to the charges of financial fraud and other offenses hanging over him, a lot of people were surprised. I wasn't one of them.
I had a feeling that Kumar would eventually plead guilty to the charges, despite his innocent plea in September 2004 following his indictment by a federal grand jury. In fact, I was almost certain of it.
A couple of weeks after the indictment, I wrote an editorial in which I reminded readers that Kumar was innocent. My point was that he hadn't been found guilty of anything, which, under our legal system, means innocence. In that piece, I also recounted an anecdote about his mom that Kumar had shared with me a couple of years earlier. It had to do with some very wise guidance his mom had given him when he was a youth. Referring to that anecdote, I made this comment in the editorial:
"I have a hunch that his mom gave him some more sage advice when he was a kid: If you goof up, acknowledge it, make amends, be forgiven, and move on. If you didn't goof up, stand up for yourself."
It turns out that comment touched Kumar pretty deeply. I know, because he called me a couple of days later to tell me.
"I wanted to let you know that you were dead right about my mother," he said. "You captured her essence in that article, to the point where somebody actually shared it with my father. This moved him to the point where he called me last night. ... I really appreciate it, because you really captured what she was all about, and what she passed on to me, in a very, very eloquent way."
It's also worth mentioning that Kumar never professed his innocence to me. He simply thanked me for what I had written and said he hoped we'd have a chance to sit down and talk about it all someday.
So no, I wasn't a bit surprised when Kumar acknowledged last week that he had messed up. In the end, he did what his mom, who passed away a couple of years ago, would have expected him to do.
I'm not making excuses for Kumar. What he did was wrong, and justice must prevail. But it's important to remember that decent people do stupid things. It would be tragic if the miracle Kumar worked at CA -- transforming it from the most intensely feared and loathed software company on the planet to a respected and valued business partner -- is forgotten because of all this. Vilification, in Kumar's case, is unwarranted.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts